Nowadays alcohol is something which is in trend and is widely consumed throughout the world by teenagers and adults age group. Age 18 is considered as the age of maturity in most states . In some states of India like Goa, Jammu & Kashmir, Sikkim after crossing the age of 18 the government and the society permits us to consume alcohol. But nowadays in this modern era, we can even see that the children under the age group of 18 are also consuming alcohol fearlessly. Some people just consume it occasionally while some of them just get addicted to it totally. Alcohol is considered as the most used and misused drug in India and the reason behind this is that it is accepted by the society.
Alcoholism can be defined as a condition in which a person has a strong desire or physical need to consume alcohol . A person with this condition does not know when or how to stop drinking . They spend a lot of time just thinking about alcohol, and they cannot control how much they consume , even if it is causing serious problems at home or work.
According to a study , we are considered as an alcoholic if we are consuming more than 4 drinks on single day and more than 14 drinks per week. There are various reasons why people turn to alcohol and some of the reasons are like- when there is a death in the family, job loss , unexpected breakups, to overcome anxiety, to relieve stress & to feel good etc.
There are various warning signs of alcoholism like being unable to control alcohol consumption, putting alcohol above personal responsibilities, feeling the need to keep drinking more , spending a huge amount of money on alcohol and behaving weirdly after drinking.
But it is not always necessary that alcohol plays a crucial role in deteriorating our health. Sometimes it may be useful as well. Hence, we can say that it has both the good & bad effects on our health. But it should be kept in mind that consuming alcohol is good only as long as we are consuming it moderately and not making it as a habit of our daily routine.
So, here are some of the benefits or advantages which we get from consuming alcohol moderately :-
- It can lower our risk of cardiovascular disease.
- It can lengthen our life.
- It helps us to prevent against the common cold.
-It can lower our chances of diabetes.
- It can reduce our risk of gallstones.
Apart from these advantages there also comes certain disadvantages of consuming alcohol also when we just get addicted to it totally and make it as our daily routine . Drinking too much on a single occasion or long term can take a serious toll on our health. Some effects of alcohol may have a minor effect on our health, while others can be severe.
Some of the short term effects of alcohol on our health may be like:-
-It can reduce our brain activity.
- It can cause blurry vision.
-It can cause difficulty in breathing.
- It can cause restlessness.
- It can cause lowered inhibitions. Additionally, consuming too much alcohol can affect our long term health also such as :-
-It can cause brain defects .
- It can cause diabetes.
- It can cause us heart problems.
- It can cause vision damage.
- It can even cause bone loss.
Overcoming an addiction to alcohol can be a long term process. At times, it may even feel impossible. But it’s not. If we’re ready to stop drinking and willing to get the support we need, we can recover from alcoholism no matter how heavy our drinking or how powerless we feel.
Here are some of the tips by which we can get rid of our alcohol addiction:-
- Keep ourselves occupied – When we have nothing to do or we are going through depression , we may tend to drink more but if we join an activity that can keep us occupied , then we may stop drinking . So, we should keep ourselves busy with activities such as painting , sports or any other field in which we are interested in.
- Try to be around happy people – We should always try to be around happy people because if we will hangout with the person who is suffering from some kind of trauma or depression we’ll only end up drinking . So it’s better to surround ourselves with good and happy people .
- Go on a juice diet- Juice diet can help us crave less for alcohol. Studies have shown that if we drink fresh juice for about 10 days, then we will gradually stop missing alcohol.
- Add dates to our diet- Dates are considered as one of the oldest and popular remedies for alcoholism. In order to quit alcoholism , we should add dates in our diet and then we can see the effects within a month.
Therefore alcohol has both negative and positive impact on our health. And to continue to stay on positive impact we should not make alcohol as our habit of daily routine . We should consume it moderately.