Hey curlfriends!! So if you are reading this most probably you too need a solution for dry and frizzy hair and want those Poppin curls of your dreams.
Well here’s a few tips to maintain your beautiful mane. I know it can be hard to maintain curly hair and the kind of products to use and where to buy it from in India
You always have to remember these four things in order to maintain your curly hair for the long run and to make them long, beautiful and healthy looking hair.
- No straightening / heat on hair
- No combing of dry curly hair
- Only CG friendly products (curly girl) friendly
- No tight hairstyles
With all these tips in our mind let’s now see how we can maintain our curly hair and look our best every day.
- Pre-poo: Pre poo means preparing your hair for shampoo. This is the most crucial step for making your hair soft, smooth and healthy. We should not skip pre-poo at any cost. This step adds nourishment in our scalp and hair. To pre poo you need any of the following: deep conditioner, oil massage, deep oil massage, hair mask treatments or any other pre poo treatment
- Shampoo: Always use sulfate free shampoo specially CG friendly shampoo. Sulfate present in shampoos dry out your curly hair and there will be no oil that should be in your hair for the natural glow hence resulting in frizz and dryness in your curly hair and you should refrain from using harsh sulfate shampoos and use light shampoos, or dilute the shampoo with water, simply use shampoos without sulfate or any other parabens for healthy and glowing hair. Do your research and buy the best sulfate free shampoo available in the market they are very easily available in Indian markets and that too affordable
- Conditioner: is a very important step in your hair washday. A good conditioner is key to perfect looking hair. As mentioned before curly hair should not combed dry and therefore they should only be combed while you are conditioning your hair. There is less chance of breakage and dryness while doing this than combing your hair dry. Conditioners should be silicone and sulfate free. Silicon tends to build up in your hair and then you need sulfate shampoo to rinse it off, so do not indulge in this silicon and sulfate cycle rather switch to natural conditioners that does not have silicon in it.
- Combing – While combing your hair make sure that you finger detangle your hair first and then slowly with the help of a wide tooth comb your hair from the ends detangling the knots in the end and slowly going up to the roots of the hair be gentle and do not pull your hair while combing this will lead to breakage.
- Scrunch: Scrunching is the most important step in your hair wash as it is the only thing that your entire hair look will depend upon. If you scrunch your hair for long and in the right way the results will simply amaze you. Remember Scrunching is an investment and also a nice arm workout 🙂
- Styling: Styling your hair with right hair products is most important as it will determine for how long your curls will stay. For this you need to know your hair type and your hair porosity. There are a lot of YouTube videos which will help you in determining your hair type, your curl pattern type and your hair porosity. You need to buy products according to your hair type, your curl, pattern type and your hair porosity. For example high porosity hair needs heavy styling products like a heavy hair mousse or heavy curl cream.
But a basic curl styling kit would consists of curl cream and a hair gel for a person with low porosity 3c or 3b curls. Do your research and find out what hair type you are and buy affordable products according to your needs and you can always DIY!!
- Air drying or diffuser: as mentioned above a curly girl should never use heat on her hair as it leads to damage of your curls so in order to dry your hair, (which I know can take hours to dry completely), you have to either air dry your hair or use your blow dryer in the low setting (cold setting) with a diffuser.
- Hair Scrunchies: regular hair ties leads to breakage but hair scrunchies are less damaging.
- Loose hairstyles: loose buns and loose hairstyles leads to less breakage and there will be less loss of curl pattern.
- Silk bonnets / caps/ pillow covers – sleeping with a silk bonnet, silk caps, and silk pillow covers leads to less breakage and less loss of curl pattern.
- Wake or refresh your hair in the morning using water and scrunch.
Other things to keep in mind while on your healthy hair journey try not to color treat your hair or do other smoothing treatments.
Buddy remember your hair is your identity so own your curls!!!